NEET PG aspirants irked over reduction in Cut-offs

NEET PG aspirants irked over reduction in Cut-offs


HYDERABAD: Thousands of medical aspirants in Telangana who sat for the National Eligibility Entrance Test (PG) are disturbed ver the reduction of the cut-off marks to secure a seat to various MDMS and PG diploma courses. While college managements have been pushing for a reduction in cut-off scores, Candidates have strongly opposed the move by colleges for reduction in cut-off scores as it is being done to encourage persons seeking management quota seats.

The NEET (PG) was conducted from December 5 to 13 in 2016. The NEET PG Results were announced on January 13, NEET PG counselling process is yet to start sd the prevailing doubts over the cut-off marks. Telangana along with other states have asked the central government to reduce the cut-off score for PG medical courses below 50 percentile because not many in-service doctors have qualified for the exams.

MBBS candidates appearing for the examination strongly objected to this. Candidates are of the view that hardly 5% of those appearing for NEET (PG) are inservice doctors and it will not be good to reduce the cut-off marks just considering the plea of 5% candidates and making the other 95% suffer. Dr Sandeep G, who got 4,205 rank in NEET (PG) this year said, "Quality of medical education will be severely affected, if cut-off marks are reduced.". Priyanka J, who got 7700 rank in NEET (PG), said, "New rule for NEET (PG), states that those aspirants who want to secure a management seat have to qualify for the exam. Aspirants who want to secure management seats will only benefit if the qualifying marks cut-off is reduced. Thus conducting a national exam this way is not good. Union health minister JP Nadda has been given a letter by junior doctors and PG aspirants from Telangana asking that the qualifying NEET score not be reduced.